The Great 8: Perks of Being a Teacher

Photo from hypable.com

Photo from hypable.com

It’s the first day of school on Monday so I have to motivate myself! Hehe. Just kidding. But honestly, being a teacher is something I’ve never dreamed of. I was a lazy student so who would have thought? I was planning to take up Mass Communication in college but because of some twist of fate, I ended up taking Education and I finished it. Oh well, now I never regret it and here are some of the reasons why.

1. Reasonable Working Hours and Vacation. When I worked as a call center agent, I talk on the phone for 8 hours, but when you’re a teacher you will only have about 4 to 5 classes a day. That means, you have vacant hours to prepare your lessons or relax and rest your voice before the next class. If there are no students, there are no classes. I have my weekends off and get to spend the holidays with my family and friends and join activities in church during my summer vacation. 🙂

2. Not a Routine Job. Yep, I meet my students everyday, teach lessons, check papers, calculate grades and all that but every year, there are different activities, new students and I can present the same lesson in a different way.

3. Career Security. There will always be students so there will always be clients. Besides that, there are also a lot of financial benefits like health insurances and pension plans.

4. Learning Never Stops. You cannot give what you don’t have so teaching requires you to read more and study the lesson until you master the topic. I learn from my students, too (not only academically, but also the latest trends). 🙂

5. Use of Other Hobbies and Talents. Sometimes, I take my favorite TV shows, songs or movies as examples if they are related to my lesson. I can also use my talent in music if it is applicable. In school programs and activities, the talents of teachers are really maximized.

Photo from jessandnicks.tumblr.com

Photo from jessandnicks.tumblr.com

6. Power to Influence. I have the chance to influence at least 40 people in an hour and of course, I’ll take advantage of that in a positive way. 🙂

7. Respect and Admiration. When people find out you’re a teacher, somehow, they respect you. You also know that you can be a source of inspiration to your students. I hope to never waste this opportunity.

8. Fulfillment. Nothing beats the reward of seeing your students be successful. I’ve only been teaching for five years but it makes me proud to see my old students become better students, enter college, graduate and start a profession. The more rewarding when they remember you. 🙂

If you are a teacher, what other perks can you add on the list?

Daily Prompt: Money for Nothing

Advertisements

29 thoughts on “The Great 8: Perks of Being a Teacher

1. samsilvermonkey says:

You must not be an elementary teacher. I teach Kindergarten and my day is jam packed from 8:25 to 3:05. I’m supposed to get 30 minutes for lunch and 40 minutes for a prep period, but you can usually cut off 10 minutes for each daily. Then I usually don’t leave until after 4 to pick up my own kids. I finish my work at home at night and on the weekends. If we’re lucky not to have any snow or flood days, I might get an 8 week vacation. Of course, as a teacher, you know you have to move your classroom if you’re unlucky, clean the room, unpack all the supplies and consumables, plus all the paperwork during that 8 week time.

• wantaps says:

Well, it really depends on your calling. Sometimes, I feel like I’m not really for high school because I’m having difficulty setting authority for some kids because I still look like a high school student when you see me in person. Haha. But like what I said, I prefer less preparations.

• wantaps says:

Yes, I teach high school but I also experienced teaching 1st and 2nd grade. They were so cute, I couldn’t stay mad. Hehe. Of course, there are a lot of stress attached to this job but I just focused on the perks to motivate myself. There are days that I also have to bring my work at home. But yeah, I chose high school because there are less preparations because you only have to teach one subject area depending on the school, anyway. When I was teaching in a private school, I taught different subjects. After working on a call center, I realized I still like the working hours of a teacher better.

• Anonymous says:

I worked in a call center for 5 years – emergency roadside service for a national company. My “favorite” call was a woman who said she was in NY with a flat tire. I asked where she was specifically. She wouldn’t tell me! You should know where I am! She screamed at me! I paid for this service!

• wantaps says:

I worked for billing so mostly my callers complained about their bill. 🙂 I’ll try to write about my experiences as a call center agent one of these days…

2. umadyet says:

I used to teach private and group music lessons. I think the biggest perk for me was being able to see (hear) my lessons put into place. That moment when the student really gets it!

3. ifdestroyedstilltrue says:

I’m sure it’s a lot different if you teach older ones but my mum taught 4 and 5 year olds and always said that the best things about her job was that someone told her they loved her every single day. Might be the opposite to that if you teach teenagers 😉

4. Chelle says:

I don’t know how you do it! I considered teaching but not teenagers lol. I still look about 15, and I can imagine them running riot in my class. Haha glad you enjoy your job!

• Chelle says:

I get what you mean! I can’t imagine the lesson plans elementary teacher’s have to do! (Feels weird saying elementary, we say primary over here lol). I would call you a secondary school teacher 🙂

5. aysabaw says:

si Zoeey ba to? kelangan talaga sya ang nasa pics hahahaha…crush ko yan ha…
    mabalik tayo sa post mo….syempre lagi akong may pambungad na walang kinalaman sa post mo eh….hindi man ako teacher…feel ko yung number 8 mo. Sarap sa feeling na may tinuruan ka then maalala ka nya pag successful na sya 🙂

• wantaps says:

Oo. Kelangan talaga siya ang nasa pics. Hehe. Kasi lagi teacher roles nya eh… Sa New Girl teacher sya tas natutuwa ako sa character nya dun. Tas teacher dn sya dun sa Bridge to Terabithia… Nakanta siya sa klase. Kewl. 🙂

• wantaps says:

Yun ang una kong napanuod pero di ko masyado gusto yung character nya dun… bagay sa kanyang komedyante… hehe Yun lang din naman napanuod kong movie nya. Pero fan din ako ng music nya (She and Him). Old school ang boses…

Say something!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s