LDR Blues: What People Think

LDR

When you are in a long-distance relationship, people would always have something to ask or to say. It’s inevitable. Here are some of their common questions/comments and my responses.

What if he already has a child or he has been married and he’s just not telling you? I’ve known him since he was 17 so I doubt it.

It’s hard when you’re not together because you don’t know him that well. Once you live together, that’s when you’ll see his true colors and you might regret it. But this happens in traditional relationships, too, right? When you marry someone, you already made the decision of accepting that person as a whole so I won’t back out.

How do you do “it”? I’m conservative so I’m just gonna keep quiet about this. But I know how necessary physical intimacy is. Well, in that case, creativity helps. See more advice here.

He’s from America? Wow, you’re lucky! It’s a good thing you’re using your head. That’s offending. Being in a relationship with someone who is far away from you is no joke. Leaving everything just to be with him is another thing. So, please stop. I’m lucky and I’m using my head because I’m in the right relationship and not because he’s living in a first-world country.

What if he’s cheating or he meets someone else? What about trust? It’s what every relationship needs.

How about you? What’s your view on LDR?

>>Read my other LDR related posts here.

Daily Prompt: FAQ

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “LDR Blues: What People Think

1. Patsy says:

I think it’s hard and cruel, but also very rewarding in the end (that is if you’re still together). My eldest sister and I are both on long distance relationships with our boyfriends. A lot of people tell me to search the ocean for more fishes because I’m still with my first boyfriend, and it gets annoying. I admit that LDR does wear the relationship because of lack of communication and contact, but you just have to hold on. Cue the song “I won’t give up” by Jason Mraz. LDR requires a lot of trust and honesty, and I am impressed by couples who succeed. As they say, true love stands the test of time.

• wantaps says:

Thank you for your great insights. I believe LDR is not really for everyone but it’s possible. It just depends on how couples work on it. There are already a lot who succeeded. I’m also hoping the best for you. 🙂

2. Inês says:

Wow I had no idea you were in an LDR. I’m just coming to the end of mine thankfully enough! I was with my boyfriend for 2 years and then he moved so we have been apart for an additional 2 years and a half. And in 2 weeks we’re going to be together again for good 🙂
    LDRs are tough and challenging and for some reason people are so bitter about them and it’s hard to find support (especially outside the close friends group) but they are incredibly worth it! Do LDRs bring on more challenges to a relationship? Sure. But “traditional” relationships have challenges of their own as well – spending a lot of time with someone creates more opportunities for a fight to occur, for instance. In any case, don’t listen to people who backlash on your LDR – they are usually people who are unhappy with their own relationships anyways. Stay strong sweetie!

• wantaps says:

Wow! I’m so happy for you! We’re aiming to close the gap early next year crosses fingers. It’s true how it was difficult for me to explain my relationship to people but now, we’re on our fourth year and I’m proud of how far we’ve come. Thanks so much for your encouragement!

• Inês says:

Oooh that’s so soon! Exciting 🙂 And you’re welcome – us LDR couples sometimes just have to look out to each other because sometimes other people aren’t always as understanding as we need them to be! All the best to you and your boyfriend ♥

3. PP says:

I can have a long-winded conversation about this but I’ll try to keep it concise. I would think about it this way…what if it was my mom, dad, other loved one who was far away? That’s also a long-distance relationship. When it comes to loving someone, not only bf/gf, but mother/brother/friend/etc., we must love them without conditions. If we start to think “I will only love you if you do this or that”, then I don’t think that is love anymore. Loving anybody genuinely is a constant challenge.
    By the way, I’m not in a relationship hehe.
    I enjoy reading your blog. 🙂

• wantaps says:

That is so true! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Commitment is also necessary in every relationship. Being far away from someone you love is hard but it becomes easier when you know you love that person genuinely.

4. amerymerry says:

Long distance relationship is hard and takes a lot of work. Looks like you are realistic about it. I think with LDR is to keep it real and always communicate. 🙂 I enjoy reading your post.

5. christinajavete says:

I think LDR can work as long as the two people love each other and are committed to one another =) It does help to see each other through Skype, too!! Two of my best friends live out of state and I sometimes worry that they’re going to replace me with a new bestie! lol. I speak to one like everyday and the other about every week or so. But I trust that I will always have them as my besties. =)
    On another note, I nominated your blog for the Lovely Blog Award!! Congrats, Wax!!!

Say something!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s